Release Date: March 2023
Price Point: $9.99 (depending on retailer)
Retailer: General Release (Amazon, BigBadToyStore, Entertainment Earth, Target, Walmart etc.)
Accessories: Axe Weapon
Official images and text below in italics are from Amazon.com:
- CELEBRATE THE LEGACY: Transformers Legacy Evolution celebrates the last 40 years of Transformers history. The Nemesis Prime action figure is inspired by The Transformers animated series
- 2 EPIC MODES: Transformers action figure converts from robot to truck mode in 11 steps
- AWESOME ACCESSORIES: This Nemesis Prime toy for 8 year old boys and girls comes with an Energon axe accessory that attaches to the figure in both modes
- GREAT GIFTS FOR BOYS AND GIRLS: Transformers toys make great gifts for 8 year old boys and girls and up!
- REVEAL TECH SPECS: Scan the code on the instructions sheet to reveal character tech specs! Collect other Transformers figures to discover facts and abilities (each sold separately, subject to availability)
The battle is evolving with the Transformers Legacy Evolution Nemesis Prime action figure! Nemesis Prime is the evil reflection of his namesake. His ruthlessness and lack of restraint make him a deadly opponent. Celebrate the last 40 years of Transformers history with Transformers Legacy action figures for boys and girls. Transformers Legacy opens the portal to a whole new universe of More Than Meets the Eye, bringing together every generation of Transformers like you’ve never seen before. Collect and combine different characters to create your ideal Legacy lineup.
The idea of an "evil" version of a heroic character is one that science fiction plays with quite often. In the case of the multiverse of Optimus Primes, their "evil counterpart" is often Nemesis Prime. In some cases Nemesis is an evil clone. In other cases he's actually a corrupted Optimus Prime. Over the years there have been many figures representing iterations of this character in various lines including Universe 2.0, Alternators and Power of the Primes. Now Nemesis Prime joins the Legacy line as a Core Class figure. This figure is a redeco of Core Class Optimus Prime. Check out that review for my more detailed thoughts on the figure itself. This review will focus on the changes made for this release.
After switching to plastic free packaging, Hasbro has standardized the boxes for the Core Class. These small square boxes feature a flap on top and an open window in front. The vertical Transformers logo is set to the right. Under the window is the Legacy: Evolution logo with the name of the figure underneath. The top flap features artwork of Nemesis Prime in vehicle mode. Interestingly, he is pulling a trailer (which is not included with the figure). This is different artwork than the Legacy repack of Core Class Optimus Prime. To the left is artwork of Nemesis which looks like Optimus Prime's artwork with the right arm modified to have the axe weapon attached. The back of the box shows Nemsis in both modes, calling out an 11 step transformation.
*Note: My copy of Nemesis Prime did not include the instructions, so I did not have the QR code to scan for the tech specs. Once I manage to get this I will add the tech specs to the image gallery below.
For this release Hasbro has swapped out Optimus Prime's rifle with an "Energon Axe" accessory. This looks a lot like the accessory included with Masterpiece versions of Optimus Prime. The base is a circle, sort of looking like a burst of energy while there is a large axe blade on one side and smaller one on the other. This accessory is made of black plastic and painted a metallic teal color.
Much like his "good" counterpart, Nemesis Prime has a standard set of colors that run across various iterations of the character: black, red and teal. This figure is mostly made up of black plastic with some smaller parts made of silver (including the thighs, parts of the back and the panel the head sits on). Paint colors on the figure include silver, red and metallic teal. I really love the deco on this figure. All the critical deco points are hit including the grille on the mid-body and the eyes are painted red. I also love the waist being painted silver with metallic teal on top. I do admit I wish there was some silver on the lower legs but honestly given the dark theme of the character it works for me.
All the joints on my copy of this figure are nice and tight, just like my Core Class Optimus Prime. To attach the axe accessory, you swing the fist into the forearm and then attach the axe to the wrist port. The teal color really pops against the black plastic on the arm. I'm sure the cost margins on the Core Class are really tight, but I do wish Nemesis had come with the rifle that was included with Optimus Prime.
Transformation to Vehicle Mode:
- Detach the axe (if attached) and set it aside for now.
- Straighten out the arms and legs.
- Swing the black piece on the back up (this is a precautionary step as this piece can easily go flying if pressed by another piece).
- Swing in each fist.
- Swing the forearms up.
- Swing the arms up.
- Rotate the waist around.
- Push the robot head down, then swing the back panel over the opening where the head was located.
- Push the legs together, then swing them and the waist section up.
- Swing the front wheel panels up.
- Push the arms down, then swing them back. On the bottom of each forearm is a port. These connect to the small pegs on the robot thighs.
- The axe can be attached to the back of the vehicle between the two lower legs.
The vehicle mode deco is very similar to the one used for Core Class Optimus Prime with one big improvement. The front has red on the windshield windows and silver on parts like the grille. There are two additional touches that I really like: the headlights are painted metallic teal and the sides of the wheels are actually painted silver! These were unpainted on Optimus Prime and I always prefer the hubcaps be painted versus being left unpainted.
The axe accessory can attach to the port on the legs. It does look a bit odd to have an axe just sitting on top of a truck cab but at least it's a way to store it in this mode.
Nemesis Prime is a fantastic redeco of a figure I already liked quite a bit. If you dig the character and want an "evil Optimus Prime" in your Core Class collection this figure is for you. Recommended!
- Excellent design featuring lots of nice sculpted details and a strong looking sillouette.
- Good articulation.
- The "Nemesis" deco looks fantastic.
- The axe weapon is a nice surprise.
- The vehicle mode looks slightly out of proportion.
- I would have liked to see the rifle accessory included.