Movie News: New "Bumblebee" featurette focuses on G1 aesthetics
When the the previous "Bumblebee" trailer was released, Transformers fans were given a glimpse at the G1 influences in the designs of several characters including Optimus Prime, Soundwave and Seekers.
A newly released featurette by Paramount Pictures UK brings further focus on this aspect of the movie. Here are some key take aways:
- Visual Effects Supervisor, Jason Smith comments on how the robots have been "squared" out and simplified to reflect more classic designs.
- Optimus Prime races into battle in a visual homage to "Transformers: The Movie".
- Arcee and Cliffjumper (or Ironhide?) make a very quick "blink and you'll miss it" debut.
- We are presented with turnarounds for both Optimus Prime and Bumblebee.
- During the scene on Cybertron, Starscream's design has been changed slightly to better differentiate him from Blitzwing including coloring him to match his G1 counterpart and removing the "mask" from his face.
Check out the featurette in the embed below:
On the run in the year 1987, Bumblebee finds refuge in a junkyard in a small Californian beach town. Charlie (Hailee Steinfeld), on the cusp of turning 18 and trying to find her place in the world, discovers Bumblebee, battle-scarred and broken. When Charlie revives him, she quickly learns this is no ordinary, yellow VW bug.
"Bumblebee" opens in theaters December 21, 2018. Tickets are now on sale!